Recipe Review: Dijon-Braised Brussels Sprouts

I was never forced to eat brussels sprouts as a kid, so I don't have any horror stories regarding them, but I do remember reading about...

I was never forced to eat brussels sprouts as a kid, so I don't have any horror stories regarding them, but I do remember reading about them in books (anyone remember Baby-Sitter's Little Sister? I'm pretty sure Karen hated brussels sprouts), and had no idea what they were. 

Anyway, since I've been on a healthy-eating kick, I wanted to try this recipe for a side dish - it's got dijon (love!), dried apricot (interesting!), and almonds (crunchy!). If you know me you know I like my food to have a lot of different textures. It just makes eating so much more interesting.  Ok, enough about me - on to the brussels sprouts!

Vinaigrette:
2 tbsps Dijon mustard
2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp sea salt

Brussels Sprouts:
1lb Brussels sprouts, julienned
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup julienned dried apricots

To make the vinaigrette:
Whisk together all the ingredients. (Easy!)

To make the brussels sprouts:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the brussels sprouts, almonds, and apricots.
3. Pour the vinaigrette over the brussels sprouts and toss well to combine.
4. Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet. Roast for approximately 55 minutes, or until the leaves of the sprouts are tender and golden brown. *This is where I messed up - and by "messed up", I mean I didn't check on them at all while they were in the oven. I burned the first batch I made, sadly! And after all that julienne-ing. I was devastated. Luckily, the second time around (a week or two later), I pulled them out after 20 minutes and they were well cooked. The lesson here is to check on them!!

Overall, it was a relatively easy recipe to make. Julienne-ing the Brussels sprouts was the most tiring and took the longest, but once that was done it was fine. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but I just cut each sprout in half, then chopped them face down from the outside in. I figured it would be fine since the leaves tend to fall off anyway, and I was right. I don't think technique here would necessarily affect the recipe!

Also - if you like a heavier vinegar flavor, I'd recommend adding more apple cider vinegar. The apricots were so sweet that I could barely taste the vinegar or Dijon. Next time I make this I'm going to try adding more in! 

Makes 4 servings.

For a printable word version, click here
To buy the book, click here

For all Recipe Reviews, click here

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Never never would I think to put these ingredients together, but it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very interesting.. who would have thought of adding apricots. looks delicious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get down with brussels sprouts. Or Dijon. I'm so picky! But I'm sure this is delish and my husband would love it!

    PS I saw on Victoria's blog you're thinking about moving to SF!? I think about it all.the.time but it's also terrifying! I've been in DC too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha fair enough! At least it's healthy :)

      I was thinking about moving back to SF since I'm in between jobs right now, but it's probably less terrifying for me to move since I have so much family there and am from there originally!

      Delete
  4. That looks well yummy!!! I love the different types of ingredients put into this salad. i also like the taste of diff texture in my food, just makes it that much more interesting:D


    Cinz
    http://cinzee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having different textures - it makes the experience of eating that much more fun! haha

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

latest on instagram