Best. Grilled. Cheese. Ever!

I have a thing for grilled cheese sandwiches - and by "thing" I mean I really love them. On my birthday this year, I went to Beec...

I have a thing for grilled cheese sandwiches - and by "thing" I mean I really love them. On my birthday this year, I went to Beecher's for lunch just so I could finally try their grilled cheese sandwich. I discovered this recipe for what sounded like an amazing grilled cheese sandwich on Friday, and I made it while we were up in Woodstock this past weekend. It did not disappoint - in fact, I'd say it pretty much rocked my taste buds! (And I'm not even generally a fan of onions.)

Take a look and I dare you to not drool:



(more after the jump!)



Are you drooling yet? Or at the very least - is your mouth watering?

Here are photos from when I made them:


via my Instagram

And here is the full recipe:
Sweet and Spicy Caramelized Onion & BBQ Grilled Cheese, serves 4
Ingredients:
8 slices challah bread (*I used sourdough, as there wasn't any challah bread to be found)
4 slices sharp cheddar
4 slices pepper jack or other spicy cheese
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp butter
2-4 Tbsp BBQ sauce, depending on how much you love BBQ (*Laura (Ring Finger Tan Line) used Stubb’s Sweet Hot, I used Bull's Eye Carolina Style)
Directions:
Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced red onion and stir occasionally until color changes to slightly brown and taste is sweet, about 10-15 minutes. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.
Spread 1 Tbsp of the remaining butter onto one side of each slice of bread.Divide BBQ sauce evenly among 4 of the slices, and spread evenly opposite the butter side. Lay cheddar cheese on top of sauce. Divide caramelized onion among the sandwiches, then top with pepper jack. Finish assembly by placing remaining bread slices on top. The butter sides of the bread should both be on the outside of the sandwiches.
Melt the remaining butter in the skillet on medium-low. Cook sandwiches two at a time, flipping when bread is golden brown on one side and cheese begins to melt. If cheese is not melting quickly enough, place a lid over the pan or use a heavy skillet to place on top and press the sandwiches down.

Thank me (and Laura, of course) later!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

latest on instagram