Recipe Review: Cornflake-Chocolate Chip Cookies

Happy Monday! I normally wouldn't post two Recipe Reviews in a row, but after posting this photo on Facebook & Instagram : ...

Happy Monday!

I normally wouldn't post two Recipe Reviews in a row, but after posting this photo on Facebook & Instagram:
 I got so many requests for the recipe that I thought I'd just post it today! (You're welcome!)

This was a recipe I'd been wanting to try for a while, and I got into a baking mood and headed to Whole Foods to pick up the three things I didn't have for this recipe. (Good thing my sister bakes every once in a while and had an abundance of all the rest of the ingredients already! Thanks Sis!)

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (I used unsalted, though the recipe doesn't specify)
1/2 cup mashed banana (which is just about one banana mashed)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups cornflakes, crushed (preferably organic)
2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut (optional)

More after the jump:
To mash the banana, I cut it into chunks into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and then mashed it with a fork. (Photo One)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the butter, mashed banana, brown sugar, and vanilla until creamy and fluffy.
3. Add the 2 eggs and whisk well to combine. (Photo Two) I used an electric mixer on the lowest speed to whisk, as I don't have an actual whisk.
4. In a separate bowl, gently sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon. (Photo Three)
5. Gently sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, whisking to incorporate.
6. Lightly fold in the chocolate chips, cornflakes (I used the just-emptied dry-ingredient bowl to put the cornflakes in and then crushed them by hand), and coconut, if desired. (Photo Four)
I used a spatula to "lightly fold" in all the ingredients - final bowl pictured in Photo Five.

7. Using a small ice cream scoop (I had to buy an ice cream scoop specifically for baking this recipe, and I recommend just getting the cheap one - to place the cookie dough on the baking sheet, I used a smaller spoon to scoop out the dough from the ice cream scoop. It still held the round shape, so it was perfect!), place the cookies on the baking sheet, leaving 1 1/2 inches between the cookies (Photo Six) 
8. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Refrigerate the remaining dough while you are baking the first batch. Repeat with the second batch. (Photos Seven & Eight show the finished cookies!)

Overall, this was a really easy recipe, and the cookies came out so deliciously! They were chewy but light, and each one is only 124 calories - not bad at all, and totally satisfying.

Recipe from Candice Kumai's Cook Yourself Sexy (Kindle version here) I highly recommend this cookbook - I've tried about five of her recipes and they're all delicious!
For the text-only version of this post, click here

For all Recipe Reviews, click here

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. this looks delicious jess! i just need some time but definitely adding this to the to do list =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw these on your insta and they looked so delish!! Yay for the recipe - will have to try soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that the corn flakes make these light. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the banana made it light too while giving it flavor - it's so delish!

      Delete
  4. Delicious!! Great idea for such a yummy cookie!!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yuuuummm!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are! I had to give half of the batch away so I wouldn't eat them all this weekend, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh that looks so tasty *___* thanks for sharing! xx

    www.tlnique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg....looks soo delish, i'm like drooling!!!

    Cinz
    http://cinzee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks great.. i saw something similar on Bianca's blog - chocolate chip but with rice krispies... this looks great too. bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

latest on instagram